Breastfeeding & Lactation
While research shows the positive benefits of breastfeeding, it doesn't always come easily. Our lactation consultants offer support to moms and babies learning how to breastfeed. You may request to see them during your stay at The Mother Baby Center or make an appointment after you leave.
Our lactation consultants are certified by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. They can help you address concerns such as:
- Breastfeeding problems
- Latch-on difficulty
- Sore/damaged nipples
- Slow or no weight gain
- Need for supplemental feedings
- Milk supply concerns
- Baby fussiness related to feedings
- Plugged ducts/mastitis
- Advice on breastfeeding equipment
- Returning to work while breastfeeding
- Milk expression and storage information
- Weaning advice
- Premature infants
- Infants with special health concerns/problems
BANKED HUMAN BREAST MILK
At all center locations, banked human breast milk is available for babies if supplementation is needed and approved by the mother. Banked human breast milk is also available to babies receiving care in the special care nursery or NICU. We receive our banked human breast milk from the Human Milk Banking Association of North America where it is screened, tested for safety and pasteurized. Please note, we currently do not accept breast milk donations.
MILK DEPOT BREAST MILK DONATION
Drop off your breast milk at one of The Mother Baby Center Milk Depots.
For various reasons, a mother may not always be able to produce breast milk for her baby—milk banks make it possible. Second only to mother’s own breast milk, donated milk is a wonderful way for babies to receive the very best nutrition. Donor milk is often used as a bridge to help nourish premature babies until a birth mother’s milk comes in. Locally-donated milk is safely processed, screened and pasteurized for premature or sick infants.
How to donate milk
To take advantage of dropping off your milk at one of our locations, you need to be approved to donate through Minnesota Milk Bank for Babies. To become an approved donor:
- Contact Minnesota Milk Bank for Babies at [email protected] or 763-236-7430.
- Once you’re approved to donate, the affiliated milk bank will send you a kit explaining how to get the required blood testing done – all paid for by the milk bank.
- Start pumping and freezing your milk donation.
- After you drop your milk off at one of our depots, it will be safely and securely stored in our freezer. We will take care of shipping your milk for you.
Where can I drop off my milk?
Please call ahead and schedule your drop off at one of the following locations:
4020 Coon Rapids Blvd.
Coon Rapids, MN 55433
345 Smith Avenue North
St. Paul, MN 55102
Patients are encouraged to check with their insurance plan on coverage for outpatient lactation consultation services. You may also call your pediatrician’s office to find out if they offer breastfeeding support services.
For lactation office hours or to schedule an appointment, please contact:
Explore the benefits of breastfeeding as well as techniques and tips to help make breastfeeding successful. Watch video.
FIND A DOCTOR FOR YOUR BABY
Babies receive their first pediatric check-up while they’re here. Find a doctor for your baby for the important first two-week visit and beyond.