Children's Minnesota terminates contract with Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota
Children's Minnesota is notifying families with children insured through Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota and Blue Plus (Blue Cross), including Blue Advantage PMAP, that Children's has terminated its contract with Blue Cross.
Unless a new agreement is reached, Children's Minnesota will become an out-of-network provider for Blue Cross members as early as July 5, 2017, or if Blue Cross chooses to extend the current contract, December 31, 2017.
Families with Blue Cross that are planning to have a baby at The Mother Baby Center may be affected by this contract termination. If your newborn does not require specialized care (for example, care in Children's Minnesota special care nursery or neonatal intensive care unit after birth) your care coverage for labor and delivery would be determined between Allina Health and Blue Cross. Allina Health's contract with Blue Cross is not impacted with this change.
If your newborn requires specialized care at Children's Minnesota, we suggest that you consult with a representative of Blue Cross to understand what services will be covered under your benefit plan and any potential costs that you will be responsible for. This applies for expecting moms scheduled to deliver at The Mother Baby Center at Abbott Northwestern and Children's Minnesota in Minneapolis, The Mother Baby Center at United and Children's Minnesota in St. Paul, and The Mother Baby Center at Mercy with Children's in Coon Rapids.
- More information for Blue Cross members who receive coverage through their employers can be found here.
- More information for Blue Advantage PMAP members insured through Medical Assistance or Minnesota Care can be found here.
- The news release announcing the decision to terminate Children's Minnesota contract with Blue Cross can be found here.
- For Q&A and to learn more, visit childrensMN.org/bcbs.
Other information sources:
- If you have general questions about this situation, we have set up a Children's helpline at 952-992-5400 where a team is prepared to help you.
- If you have specific questions about insurance, out-of-pocket costs for future care, or other concerns, we encourage you to contact Blue Cross customer service at 651-662-8000 or refer to phone numbers listed on the back of your membership insurance card.